Monday, May 2, 2011

The five-year-old boy who sold 3,000 monster drawings

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

Fighter: Aidan Reed, five, from Kansas, U.S., has sold nearly 3,000 of his monster drawings and has managed to fund the treatment for his leukaemia


A little boy fighting cancer is selling pictures he has drawn of his favourite monsters to pay for the treatment that could save his life.

Aidan Reed, five, from Kansas City, U.S., was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia on September 13 last year.

Since then he has undergone weeks of treatment as well as chemotherapy, infections, spinal taps and other painful procedures.


Brave: Aidan was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in September last year and has undergone gruelling treatment including chemotherapy and spinal taps


Parents Katie and Wiley were devastated by the diagnosis, but were given hope when experts said the type of cancer Aidan suffers from has a 90 per cent cure rate.

But the family faced a mountain of hospital bills and had to put their home on the market to fund treatment.

Amazingly, that sale is now on hold thanks to the idea of turning Aidan's passion for drawing monsters into a money-generating life-saver.

The little boy has sold more than 3,000 drawings, many of them sketched in his hospital bed as he underwent gruelling treatment.

Total sales topped more than $30,000 and Aidan has sold enough that his family were able to take their home off the market and they no longer require further funding for his care.



Devoted: Aidan with his parents and Katie and Wiley, who put their home in Kansas on the market after his diagnosis


Wylie's sister Mandi Ostein, 26, was the one who came up with the idea to help pay the bills by selling Aidan's artwork.

She said: 'My lucky number was 60; I just wanted to sell 60 prints. And now here we are at 2,460.

'I have two printers constantly going in my dining room. In between taking care of my baby, I've been trying to fill orders.'

Ms Ostein said she prints out Aidan's drawings of Wolfman, Gill-man, Nosferatu the vampire and other scary monsters on quality photo paper so people aren't just getting a piece of paper.

She has now received orders from Japan, Italy, Brazil and other far-flung locations all over the world.

She said: 'It's absolutely unbelievable. We're just small-town people from the Midwest. This doesn't happen to us.

'Just thinking of him being sick, for someone in your family to be that sick, it's just devastating.'



Treatment: Aidan's family is no longer selling the monster drawings after raising enough money for his hospital treatment

source: dailymail

The five-year-old boy who sold 3,000 monster drawings

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

Fighter: Aidan Reed, five, from Kansas, U.S., has sold nearly 3,000 of his monster drawings and has managed to fund the treatment for his leukaemia


A little boy fighting cancer is selling pictures he has drawn of his favourite monsters to pay for the treatment that could save his life.

Aidan Reed, five, from Kansas City, U.S., was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia on September 13 last year.

Since then he has undergone weeks of treatment as well as chemotherapy, infections, spinal taps and other painful procedures.


Brave: Aidan was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in September last year and has undergone gruelling treatment including chemotherapy and spinal taps


Parents Katie and Wiley were devastated by the diagnosis, but were given hope when experts said the type of cancer Aidan suffers from has a 90 per cent cure rate.

But the family faced a mountain of hospital bills and had to put their home on the market to fund treatment.

Amazingly, that sale is now on hold thanks to the idea of turning Aidan's passion for drawing monsters into a money-generating life-saver.

The little boy has sold more than 3,000 drawings, many of them sketched in his hospital bed as he underwent gruelling treatment.

Total sales topped more than $30,000 and Aidan has sold enough that his family were able to take their home off the market and they no longer require further funding for his care.



Devoted: Aidan with his parents and Katie and Wiley, who put their home in Kansas on the market after his diagnosis


Wylie's sister Mandi Ostein, 26, was the one who came up with the idea to help pay the bills by selling Aidan's artwork.

She said: 'My lucky number was 60; I just wanted to sell 60 prints. And now here we are at 2,460.

'I have two printers constantly going in my dining room. In between taking care of my baby, I've been trying to fill orders.'

Ms Ostein said she prints out Aidan's drawings of Wolfman, Gill-man, Nosferatu the vampire and other scary monsters on quality photo paper so people aren't just getting a piece of paper.

She has now received orders from Japan, Italy, Brazil and other far-flung locations all over the world.

She said: 'It's absolutely unbelievable. We're just small-town people from the Midwest. This doesn't happen to us.

'Just thinking of him being sick, for someone in your family to be that sick, it's just devastating.'



Treatment: Aidan's family is no longer selling the monster drawings after raising enough money for his hospital treatment

source: dailymail

Spot the diva of the family! Jennifer Lopez is white hot in thigh-high coat as her casual mother and sister join her in New York

By Daily Mail Reporter


Family affair: Jennifer Lopez was joined by her sister Lynda, mother Guadalupe and niece Lucie at the BET Studios in Manhattan today


Jennifer Lopez turned her trip to New York into a family affair today.

The singer, who is on a promotional tour for her new album Love?, reunited with her mother Guadalupe and her younger sister Lynda as she left the BET Studios in Manhattan.

The 41-year-old opted for a white hot look in a trench coat and silver heels while the rest of her family kept it casual.

Lynda, 39, who is an Emmy Award winning television journalist, took along her daughter Lucie, who turns three in August.


Of course, Jennifer is no stranger to the Big Apple - she grew up in The Bronx and her debut album On the 6, was a referenced to the 6 subway line she used to catch when she was just starting out.

While the star is now close with her family, it hasn't always been the case.

Jennifer and her mother, a former kindergarten teacher, have had a tumultuous relationship over the years and at one point the pair didn't speak.

She left home at 17 because her mother was furious she had turned down a place in business college to pursue music.

'I did not want this lifestyle for her,' Guadalupe admitted in a documentary about her daughter last year.

Style idol: The singer and TV star looked sophisticated in a white coat and silver heels


Mother and daughter continued having a troubled relationship, even after J-Lo found fame, but a key emotional turning point came when Jennifer became a mother herself.

'She gave me a card saying, "The way you feel about Max and Emme I feel about you",' Jennifer recalled.

Meanwhile, Jennifer today said her twins aren't old enough to watch her raunchy music videos.

Her brand new video for the single I'm Into You features the 41-year-old beauty writhing on a beach with shirtless actor William Levy, 30, who is known as the 'Brad Pitt of Mexico'.

Up close and personal: Jennifer Lopez is seen writhing in the sand in a sneak preview of her new music video I'm Into You

Look away now, kids! The singer says she doesn't want her twins to see the clip

Still got it: The 41-year-old put on a raunchy show for the cameras

Hug it out: The man in her video clip is known as 'the Brad Pitt of Mexico'


After showing a preview of the sexy video the host of US morning show The Today Show, Meredith Vieira, 57, said: 'You are so funny because while we were watching that I was looking at the guy and you were thinking about your kids, your three-year-olds right?'

Lopez looked embarrassed and replied: 'Yeah, they will not see that now. They can see that later when they are older.'

Defending Lopez the host said: 'They will see that their mom is hot, what's wrong with that?'

The star, who has twins Max and Emme with her husband Marc Anthony, 41, filmed the sensual beach scenes filmed at Turtle Beach in Mexico.

Lopez was recently voted People magazine's Most Beautiful Woman.

She said she hopes to spend Mother's Day, which falls on May 8 in the US, doing 'nothing.'

'I haven't had a day off in months,' said the American Idol judge.

'I just want to be at home with my babies, doing nothing.'
Her new album Love? Is out now.

Embarrassed: The star said her twins can see the video 'when they're older'




source:dailymail

LC's "The Fame Game" Release Date Announced

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width/hash/c7/f6/TBDlaurenbuncomingsoon.jpg

Lauren Conrad's "The Fame Game" will be available in book stores on April 3, 2012, but readers can pre-order now for just $12.23 and save $5.76 from the price of $17.99.

"The Fame Game" is a new three-book trilogy spun-off from the "LA Candy" trilogy, this time telling the tall tales of Madison Parker, who's fame hunger is ravishing.

Lauren announced these new set of novels after having all three "LA Candy" novels go to #1 on the New York Times Bestseller List.

Along with Candy, Lauren wrote "Lauren Conrad Style," a book devoted all to Lauren's expertise about fashion, hair, clothing, and special occasions, which topped the bestseller list too.

"The Fame Game" is loosely based on real-life fame-seeker, Heidi Montag, where Heidi and husband Spencer spent frivalous amounts of money to keep their celebrity going, only to drive them broke.

Credit: Examiner (David Quintanilla)

Jaden Smith becomes highest paid Hollywood child star after raking in $3m for The Karate Kid

By Paul Thompson


Actor Will Smith's son has become the highest paid child star in Hollywood - earning a staggering £2m from his role in The Karate Kid.

Although just 12 years old, Jaden Smith received the bumper pay day thanks to the box office success of the film.

He was paid a reported salary of $1m (£600,000) as an 'up front' fee to star in a remake of the 1984 movie.

It was only the young actor's third film, but his first starring role alongside Jackie Chan.

According to celebrity website TMZ his management had also negotiated a share of the eventual profits of the film.

With The Karate Kid film taking more than $150m (£100m) at the box office, the young actor received another $2m(£1.3m) bonus.

The website estimate that other perks signed into Jaden's contract would have resulted in a payday of over $3m (£2m).

As well as starring in the film he also sang the theme song 'Never Say Never' alongside teen superstar Justin Bieber.

Jaden's seven figure salary makes him by far the highest paid of any of the young actors currently in Hollywood.

Although the film was released in 2010 when Jaden was 12 he had begun filming at the age of 10.

Raking it in: Pictured with sister Willow and father Will Smith and mothe Jada Pinkett Smith back in February


The young actor began his career with a small part in his father's 2006 film The Pursuit Of Happyness.

With his youger sister Zillow they have forged out careers with the blessing of their parents Will and Jada Pinket Smith.

As well as acting Jaden has forged a career as a rap artist and his 10 year old sister had a No 2 hit in the UK with Whip My Hair.

Like her older brother she has appeared in several films, most notably I am Legend, alongside her father.


Highest paid Hollywood child star: The child star earned a reported $3m for his role in The Karate Kid, pictured with co-star Jackie Chan


source:dailymail

Annalynne McCord At The Lucille Lortel Awards

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/AnnaLynne+McCord+26th+Annual+Lucille+Lortel+9Cci4CgE3S8l.jpg

AnnaLynne McCord attends the 26th Annual Lucille Lortel Awards at NYU Skirball Center on May 1, 2011 in New York City.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/AnnaLynne+McCord+26th+Annual+Lucille+Lortel+oPazjHM-r3xl.jpghttp://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/AnnaLynne+McCord+26th+Annual+Lucille+Lortel+nagOsvL2V73l.jpg

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/AnnaLynne+McCord+26th+Annual+Lucille+Lortel+2nE8JY8juMYl.jpghttp://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/AnnaLynne+McCord+26th+Annual+Lucille+Lortel+ikZ-2bz6uncl.jpg

Credit: Zimbio

Photos by Steve Mack/Getty Images North America

The Disappearing Duchess: I’m going to be a housewife for now, says Kate

By Rebecca English


Just wed: Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, wants to savour being an ordinary RAF wife to her new husband Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge


The new Duchess of Cambridge will not become a full-time working royal for up to two years – because she wants to concentrate on being a housewife.

Despite a surge of public interest in the Royal Family following Friday’s wedding, Kate is refusing to conduct any public engagements without her husband for the foreseeable future.

There are only two or three joint events pencilled in over the next couple of months and aides admit the new bride intends to spend most of her time with her husband on Anglesey.


Well-placed sources have told the Mail that Kate wants to model herself on the Duchess of Cornwall, who insisted on only a ‘supporting role’ following her 2005 marriage to Prince Charles.

The new duchess has told friends she wants to enjoy life for as long as she can as an ‘ordinary RAF wife’ in the rented farmhouse the couple share in North Wales.

Her approach has the support of her husband who is keen not to throw Kate into the ‘bear-pit’ of public life and has cautioned aides to keep her commitments to a minimum.

The only definite dates in her diary following her return from honeymoon are watching Prince William play in a couple of polo matches and key-note events next month including Trooping The Colour and the Duke of Edinburgh’s 90th birthday.

There are no plans for her to attend Royal Ascot with the Queen or join the rest of the royals at this summer’s palace garden parties.

Commitments: Aides insist Kate 'will not be idle' and say that when William is on duty she will be 'pursuing other interests'


Aides insist she ‘will not be idle’ and say that when William, who works as a search and rescue pilot at RAF Valley on Anglesey, is on duty she will be ‘pursuing other interests’. They also stressed that she has a two-week inaugural tour of Canada coming up at the beginning of July.

But her approach is likely to disappoint those who were hoping to use the couple’s post-wedding popularity to boost the Royal Family’s profile. It also provides ammunition for critics who have already accused her of being ‘work-shy’.

Other than working for her family’s party supplies business, Kate has had only one part-time job since she graduated from university in 2005, as an accessories buyer for the High Street firm Jigsaw.

Last year the Queen conducted 444 engagements while Prince Charles carried out 585 and Camilla 243. Prince William undertook 73.

Approval: Kate is said to have the support of the Queen who, as a newly-wed, lived in Malta for two years when Prince Philip was based there with the Navy


The source said: ‘The couple will do things as a pair after their marriage and for the foreseeable future. Catherine will not be conducting any solo engagements. The number of engagements she does with William will remain pretty level.

‘Prince William has a full-time job he has to work round and that is his priority. He is committed to it for at least another two years so nothing much will change in the immediate future, apart from the fact that he and Catherine will take part in the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations next year.

‘He is already committed to a number of charitable patronages and Catherine will, initially at least, support him in that as his wife.

‘She will, in time, become associated with her own charities but this won’t happen immediately as she wants to explore the fields that interest her first.’

Kate is said to have the support of the Queen who, as a newly-wed, lived in Malta for two years when Prince Philip was based there with the Navy. The monarch considers it one of her happiest periods.

‘Catherine wants to enjoy her time with William as an RAF wife,’ said a friend. ‘It’s so rare that someone in her position gets the chance to live as a normal wife and she intends to make the most of it.’



source:dailymail